Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Leaking the news

I Like it – Enrique Iglesias

Mood: Calm

Now that you’ve made the decision to move to India (or any other country really for that matter), how do you let your loved ones know? I guess this depends on how much your family cares for you and how close you are with them. For us here at the G family, we have a fabulous family on both sides.  I told my family first because I swear my head was going to explode if I didn’t tell somebody. The first person that I called was my mom.  This was a smart choice. My mom sits at the top of the totem pole of people who expect to be notified first of, well, almost anything. Unfortunately, my mom is about as difficult to find as Shahrukh Khan movie in which Shahrukh isn’t crying at some point.  For those who don’t get this analogy, it can be really hard to find her the first time you look.  

At this point, I could have sworn my head was going to pop off and explode like a champagne bottle if I didn’t tell someone. So I decided to post it on facebook. This was a not so smart choice. My wall exploded with people congratulating me, asking what I was thinking,  and why I didn’t call them and tell them in person.  The whole episode was capped off by my husband calling me very pissed that people at work where congratulating him on a move to India that he hadn’t told them about. So…yeah. I would definitely not recommend that approach.  Some people warrant a phone call when it comes to you moving.

I did end up talking to most of those important people I know and apologizing for being an insensitive ass about the whole thing and not calling them and telling them first. Overall, most of 
my friends and family were supportive, if not thrilled.

My husband told his family shortly after I did. For the most part, they were very supportive too. My husband comes from a loooonnnnggg line of worriers.  The funny part about this is that they’re worried about me, not my husband. So most of the feedback was along the lines of: well, what about this? Did you think of that? What about Becky? How will she deal with this, that and the other.  I really do love my husband’s family. I couldn’t have asked for a nicer family to marry into. They are the reason that I am willing to move to India. I would not be able to do it without their support.

So that’s how the news came out at our house. I’m pretty sure I won’t have this experience to do again (but who knows!) and that’s what I would do the same and differently. I’m sure I’ll get a bit more honest and extensive feedback (my family is nothing if not honest and upfront, even if you don’t want to hear it) when I visit them in a week.

Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment