Friday, April 6, 2012

Tales from the Kitchen – Wait a Minute, I Already Have a Mother in Law.


Listening to: Highway Star – Deep Purple
Mood: In a serious procrastination funk. I have family coming over tomorrow and I’m pulling an ostrich

So yes. A Mother in Law, I have one. Indira, my housecleaner and cook rolled into one, however, is seriously vying for the job. This has nothing to do with her son though. While I dearly love my mother in law, I can’t help but be reminded of the Sex in the City episode where Miranda gets frustrated with her housecleaner and reads her the riot act. Similarly, I do have a mother in law and there’s a reason we live in separate houses.

I am a self admitted control freak. I have my processes people, and the Spaghetti Monster himself help whoever tries to change them. Sometimes change is good, I realize that. However, if I can’t find things in my own kitchen – indeed this is more like hiding than just putting them in a separate drawer - we have a problem. If you see me put the plastic spoons in a glass jar every single day, why would you take them and put them in the silverware drawer? Why would you hide the pressure cooker weight a different place every single day? My mother in law used to do this and I never understood it. I really don’t think there was anything behind it, but it is still irritating as hell.

Point 2. I learned to cook Andhra style Indian food from my mother in law. The woman can blow anyone out of the water with her mad kitchen skillz. Aside from Indian food, I have been cooking for the past 15 years of my life and as of the last few, I’ve gotten quite good at it. So taking over my cooking half way through, changing it, and clicking your tongue like you feel sorry for me because I can’t cook is likely to get you stabbed. With a rusty fork.  I am not a 22 year old brand new bride anymore. I know what the heck I am doing. My husband does actually like my food.  I know you don’t see me cooking that often, but that’s because I’m paying you to do it. This does not make me an ignorant orphan who needs you to take over what I’m working on. I do love her food though, so hopefully we can avoid the fork drawer in the future. My mother in law used to do this too, but then again, I really didn’t know what I was doing.

Actually, my mother does this stuff too. I think it stems from a need to be helpful, but it drives me a little batty sometimes. Oh well, back to cleaning. My mother in law is coming over tomorrow. I'll just throw them in the kitchen together and pray it's still standing at the end of the week. 

Becky 

No comments:

Post a Comment