Thursday, May 17, 2012

Husband vs. Cow


Mood: Happy – Sri Lanka in 2 days!

So the family and I have had a couple of encounters with the local wildlife here. Not all of them pleasant. First there was the incredibly angry hornet, then the attack pigeon (the same day as the hornet!), the monkey that tried to eat my daughter in Ooty,  and let’s not forget the stray dog that chased me down the street with my asthmatic cousin in law and 2 kids. The wildlife (meaning anything not on a leash) is better left alone.

Apparently we have not learned our lesson well enough. We went out to eat with my sister in law and her family last weekend. We went to New Shanti Sagar. It’s a great place to get Bangalore Breakfast food and South Indian coffee. Love it. Anyhow, on the way out, we passed 2 cows. One was a yellowish/tan color and had big horns, the other looked like your standard black and white milk cow. My husband’s brother in law warned me that the yellowish one was a Mysore fighting cow and that I should steer clear of those and not even walk close to them.  I thanked him for the info (I really had no idea). The black and white cow decided that the spot right behind our parked car was the best place in the world to be. So my sister in law’s husband decided to force the cow’s hand and back up very slowly to get it to move. Most of the time this is very effective – the cows just move out of the way. The cow just sat there with a bored expression (whatever that means for a cow – it looked pretty passive aggressive to me!), not moving an inch. 

I started encouraging the cow vocally to move it. Clapping happened. I was still not comfortable approaching the cow after the advice I was given. My husband walked up and tried to shoo the cow away from a close distance. The cow apparently had enough and swung its head around at my husband really fast. My husband is 140 lbs soaking wet; he is no match for a humongous cow. I was rolling with laughter as he jumped 3 feet back from the cow. We both just sat there trying to figure out how to get the damn cow to move. About 2 minutes later, it slowly moved on down the road. 

 Jeez. These aren’t your typical placid cud chewing cows like we’re used to in the US. Lesson learned. Beware of the cows.

Becky 

2 comments:

  1. My sister in-law was almost gored by a cow here once. Luckily she slipped in between its horns and so was only pinned against the wall... although, very very bruised up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is scary! Cows in the US are so....docile. They usually don't bother to move more than a few inches at a time. I generally take a stay as far as possible outlook for the animals here.

    ReplyDelete